It's all about the preparation
How many times have you heard a painter say that preparation is key? Since decks are horizontal surfaces, they hold water, snow and dew for longer periods of time, which accelerates damage. The extra dampness attracts dirt, mildew and pollution from the air. Flat deck surfaces also take on 40 to 50 percent more UV radiation from sunlight than vertical surfaces. Because of this increased stress, proper preparation is absolutely critical to obtain the best results possible.
Without the proper product you are at the very least wasting your time and money, and at the worst potentially ruining your deck to the point where it will never look good again. Also, it should be noted that many deck cleaning products available for sale contain sodium hypo chloride (bleach). Did you know that sodium hypochlorite is used in paper mills to help reduce wood to pulp? Chlorine bleach destroys wood fibers and destroys wood color. It is also harmful to surrounding vegetation. If not thoroughly rinsed, cleaning products will prevent the deck stain from properly penetrating into the wood. Avoid these products if you want the best and longest lasting results.
Every deck is different. That's why it is so important to have an expert determine the proper procedure for long lasting results that look great. Differences include age and type of wood, exposure to the sun and rain, previous coatings applied, as well as other factors. Cedar decks are particularly prone to failure unless you know what you're doing. Once these factors are determined, a careful process of cleaning, drying and applying the final coat is followed. Each step has specific guidelines that when followed result in a great looking job with the best possible results.
Cleaning and stripping of existing coatings
- Power-washing with machines specially calibrated for wood.
- Environmentally friendly cleaners. No tri-sodium phosphate or bleach.
- Full chemical stripping with environmentally safe products.
- Special species-specific strippers that won't permanently alter your deck's color like those commonly available on the market. Standard strippers will permanently change the color of your hardwood.
Sealing, staining & protection
- Tinted sealers to give your deck a rich look without covering up the grain, similar to stains used on a hardwood floor. They contain UV blockers and will resist graying for much longer than a clear sealer. We offer a two-year warranty on labor from Deck Medic Inc. and a three-year warranty on materials from Wolman Wood Care.
- Clear oil moisturizing preservative/sealer. Lasts 12 - 18 months after the first application and 18 - 24 months upon subsequent applications. Excellent for rehydrating decks.
- Solid stains give your deck a consistent color and new life. It can be done in two-tone and lasts twice as long as standard sealers. There are many colors to choose from. A five-year manufacturer's warranty against peeling is available through Flood. Deck Medic Inc. does not warranty solid stains.
Repair your existing deck
- Full service repairs from small to large
- Safety inspections of existing decks
- Structural repairs & safety upgrades
Upgrade your existing deck
- Re-decking with hidden fasteners for a clean, finished look
- Build onto existing deck
- New material and/or color for rails
- Bump out for grills, benches, counters & cabinets
- New custom stairs
- Add a privacy wall
Upgrade your existing rails
- Fresh new contemporary look
- Maintenance Free
- Eliminate safety concerns (photo aluminum rails)
For a complete rebuild see
- Complete construction from design to completion
- Benches, planters and outdoor showers
- Pergolas, arbors and privacy walls
- Dryspace, pavers and hot tubs
- Water and fire features
- Outdoor kitchens, serving and entertaining areas